15 October, 2007

Blog Action Day!

Hi All:

It may be a little late to have your students participate, but I just ran across this. I'm registering this blog as part of the project, for we are all doing our part by encouraging writing for electronic media (and presumably cutting down the amount of waste we would otherwise generate by using paper, right?). If any of you don't care about the environment, my apologies; but I believe this is relevant to our project regardless of whether we're part of the problem or part of the solution (I know, computers use energy too).

If any of you mention this in class--perhaps it will launch some sort of discussion related to blogging as social action--please do share. I'll report back if I hear anything about how this project went.

JB

Bloggers Unite - Blog Action Day

2 comments:

Tira said...

Dang, I wish I saw this before 11:00 PM!

Benson said...

Well, it's not too late to discuss the results :)

In short:

20,603 blogs participated
23,327 blog posts (tracked by Google blog search)
14,631,038 RSS readers (that is, people who subscribe to X site using Google Reader or other aggregators)

19 of Technorati's Top 100 blogs

Pretty impressive stat alone, that 20,000 blogs translates into 14.6 million readers--and that doesn't even include visitors, just subsribers to these blogs. Check out blogactionday.com for more info about how the project went. Thanks for letting me share.